The Directors Dwelling (now Minchin House) – Built in 1887 Minchin House was formerly the residence of the directors of Adelaide Zoo until the 1970s and currently houses the Society administration. In 2004 the house was renamed Minchin House to recognise the long association between the Minchin Family and Adelaide Zoo. R E Minchin was the first Director of the Adelaide Zoo (1882 to 1893). He was followed by his son and grandson, giving a total of over 61 years to 1946. Read about Richard Ernest Minchin.
Heritage Reconstruction Work
Heritage reconstruction work of Minchin House included internal repaint in a traditional heritage colour scheme; hand painted dado with heritage stencilling; faux oak wood graining hand painted on the doors, door frames and skirtings; and faux marbling (carrara marble) hand painted on the fireplace in the CEO’s office.
- Marbleising, faux marbling or fake marble is used to make walls and furniture look like real marble. This can be done using plaster, glaze and painting techniques.